From time to time, I scour the internet in search of motivational quotes for women. Specifically women who are trying to find the silver lining in getting older. I mean, it’s inevitable we’re all going to get older. The key is how to get older without aging. To me, they are two different things.
Aging is a state of mind. I know women who are way more youthful, vibrant and stronger at 50, 60, 70, 80 than those 20, 30, 40 years their junior. In fact, I felt older when I was 30 than I do now. I was always tired and achy with a chip on my shoulder about not being where I felt I should have been, which was ridiculous. By 30, I had accomplished quite a bit yet I was still dissatisfied.
Related: Ageless living 101
My mind was aging by the day. My inner child was gone. The dreams became chores. The aches started coming in. I was constantly sick with the flu. I felt old and bogged down. Yes, at 30.
Today? I can say that I actually feel younger than I did a decade ago. The older I get, the less I take time for granted. The more I want to dance, love and laugh.
Here are 10 quotes that define what it means to be an ageless woman who is taking life by horns and doing the damn thing.
- Age is just a number, and agelessness means not buying into the idea that a number determines everything from your state of health to your attractiveness to your value – Cristiane Northrup
- Eventually the inner you shapes the outer you – Elizabeth Taylor
- There is a fountain of youth: it is your mind, your talents, the creativity you bring to your life and the lives of people you love. When you learn to tap this source, you will truly have defeated age – Sophia Loren
- How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? – Satchel Paige
- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional – Chili Davis
- Inside, we are ageless and when we talk to ourselves, it’s the same age of the person we were talking to when we were little. It’s the body that is changing around that ageless center – David Lynch
- I feel that beauty and femininity are ageless – Marilyn Monroe
- Growing older is an opportunity for you to increase your value and competence as the neural connections in your hippocampus and throughout your brain increase, weaving into your brain and body the wisdom of a life well lived, which allows you to stop living out of fear of disappointing others and being imperfect. Ageless living is courageous living. It means being undistracted by the petty dramas of life because you have enough experience to know what’s not worth worrying about and what ought to be your priorities – Christiane Northrup
- I am convinced that most people do not grow up … We marry and dare to have children and call that growing up. I think what we do is mostly grow old. We carry accumulation of years in our bodies, and on our faces, but generally our real selves, the children inside, are innocent and shy as magnolias – Maya Angelou
- There is a saying that with age, you look outside what you are inside. If you are someone who never smiles your face gets saggy. If you’re a person who smiles a lot, you will have more smile lines. Your wrinkles reflect the roads you have taken; they form the map of your life – Diane von Furstenberg